This post does have affiliate links.
X-men Apocalypse. I'm was a bigger fan of the X-men comic
books during the 80s-early 90's than any other comic at the time.
This movie introduces us to Apocalypse, a major villain in
the X-men universe. In my opinion this movie did not
- The look and feel of the movie was fantastic. The movie
takes place in the 80s and hops to various locations throughout
time and the planet. We go from ancient Egypt to West Berlin
to Ohio. The movie felt big and important.
- The costumes were on point. Apocalypse' 4 horsemen
looked awesome. Psylocke and Storm were very true to their
comic book counterparts. The X-men's flight suits were very
- Most of the performances had me dialed in. I never had
an issue with Oscar Issac. I believed he was Apocalypse
every time he was on screen. Mcavoy (Xavier), Fassbender
(Magneto), Rose Byrne (Moira McTaggart), Kodi Smit-McPhee
(Nightcrawler), Evan Peters (Quicksilver), Tye Sheridan (Cyclops),
were the stand outs for me.
- The Wolverine and Quicksilver scenes made me smile big.
- Fans of the comics and movie series were rewarded with easter
eggs throughout the film. Even a potshot at X3: The Last
- The after credits scene insinuating Mr. Sinister will be the
next movie villain.
- Jennifer Lawrence performance. After seeing her in films
like American Hustle and Joy, Ms. Lawrence is one of the best in
Hollywood today. In this movie her performance just seems
kind of blah.
- Sophie Turner's performance. Her British accent drops in
on her American accent from time to time. She was only OK
for me in the film.
- I dislike when characters in the X-films are so literal.
Like Jean Grey saying she's telepathic or Mystique saying and
explaining what Cerebro is. It's similar to Wolverine, in
his first film, saying 'I know who you are Gambit'. The
audience I'm assuming knows this. The movie doesn't have to
spell it out for us.
- The death of Havoc. There one minute, gone the next with
little callback or explanation in the film.
- Magneto or Storm, face no repercussions for deaths I'm pretty
sure they caused while they were Apocalypse' horsemen
I enjoyed this movie more than I thought I would. The
early reviews were mixed. I recommend this movie,
especially if your a fan of these films. Of course to fully
enjoy this movie I suggest to watch these other X-films (in this
order)or check out these particular graphic novels:
1. X-men: First Class
2. X-men: Days of Future
3. This movie will partly
explain Wolverine's appearance in the film.
4. These are three graphic novels with some backstory on the
Rise of Apocalypse
b. X-Factor: Genesis & Apocalypse
Age of Apocalypse
In this podcast episode, my longtime friend Jason
Geller and I share our thoughts on the movie right after our
viewing of the film. If you like to reach out to him, click
on his name and you will be sent to his Facebook page.
You will be hearing him alot more on the movie review episodes of
Have you seen the film? What did you think? Comment
If you've enjoyed this, please support this podcast by doing
any, all your shopping through my eBay link: http://ebay.to/1L4TKkb
or my Amazon link: http://amzn.to/1WtA6DZ.
Any shopping through these links will be at no extra cost to you.