The summer movie season has unofficially begun and here is my
review of Captain America Civil War. There are
spoilers! Please be aware.
Having read the the
graphic novel some years ago, when this was announced as being
made into a film, I was all in. The release date of May
6, 2016 has arrived and the latest and greatest Marvel movie has
opened. I very much enjoyed this movie and I'm considering
going to see it a second time. I do not regularly pay to see
something twice, but I might with this film. These Marvel
movies, I feel, ARE the new action movies of this generation.
Me, being a child of the 80's, consider these movies to be the new
Stallone and Schwarzeneggar action films of the 80s.
What I liked:
- The scope of the movie is large. Taking place all over
the world. Bucharest, Germany, Vienna are a few of the
locations. A movie this size with this many characters should
be taking place the world over.
- The action was quick, fluid and bigger than the
Winter Soldier sequel.
- All of the introductions of the new and returning characters
was bad ass!
- Falcon's bulletproof wings, Black Panther's vibranium claws and
bulletproof suit, Vision's appearance(especially up close) really
- Falcon and War Machine were much more kick ass characters in
this movie. I really felt that Sam Wilson and Rhodes were
very formidable against anyone they went up against, a feeling I
did not have with these characters in previous films.
- All the comic book, TV show, and movie references and callbacks
were solid, making this world feel like a universe. I
especially liked Ant Man becoming Giant Man, Tony Stark making
Spider Man's suit, Agent Carter being tied in to this film, the
beginning of Vision and Wanda's relationship, to name a few.
- The same cinematographer who did
Winter Soldier, did this movie. Trent Opalach is
his name, and he really stepped up his game for this one, and it
- Joe Russo and Stan Lee both show up in the movie, that made me
- Comedy beats and chemistry between characters was great.
- Baron Zemo lived! Marvel please stop killing off all your
villains. Its great for them to return in future
- Marissa Tomei as Aunt May. The best looking Aunt
May I've ever seen.
- The acting was fantastic. No one phoned it in, I believe
all these actors to be these characters.
What I didn't like:
- Crossbones had a great introduction but was killed off
- The beginning of every action/chase sequence begins with a bomb
going off. Lots of bombs go off in this movie.
- I found Baron Zemo to be lacking. His motivation
for his actions in the movie were vengeance. Maybe keeping it
simple is good, but I'd like to see some other reason for doing
what he did.
- The bonus scenes after the initial set of credits and after all
the credits were just preludes to the Black Panther and Spider Man
movies. I'd like to see something pushing the upcoming Thor,
Dr. Strange, or Infinity War movies.
To me what the Russo brothers do best in this film is introduce
characters and explain there motivations with little screen
time. I was very satisfied with the introductions of
Black Panther and Spider Man. A setting, a few lines of
context and I already bought in and thought the characters
If you simply like action movies, go see this movie.
I don't feel you would have needed to see all the other Marvel
movies to enjoy this. But if you feel so inclined to do so
check out these movies in this order.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age Of Ultron
Thanks for listening/reading this! What are your
thoughts? Please comment on the blog at
If you like what you hear, please support this podcast by doing
any, all your shopping through my eBay link: http://ebay.to/1L4TKkb or
my Amazon link: http://amzn.to/1WtA6DZ.
Any shopping through these links will be at no extra cost to
you. Thank you!